Frequently Asked Quesions


 What if I don't live in the Tri-County area and I am placed on probation?

If you live outside of the state of Minnesota you must meet immediately with the probation office after sentencing to complete a transfer request. Any delays may jeopardize your ability to return to your residence. Interstate (Out of MN) transfers can take 90 days for processing if an individual does not qualify at the time of sentencing for an interstate transfer. You can be charged with a new felony level offense for being in another state without permission while you are under probation supervision.

If you live within the state of Minnesota but outside of Polk, Red Lake or Norman County you must notify the probation office immediately after sentencing. Your probation supervision will be transferred to your county of residence.

 What are probation fees? Where can I mail my probation fees?

Probation fees are for services provided by the probation department, including but not limited to, supervision, drug-testing and specific programming. Unless other payment arrangements have been made, these fees are due within 90 days of sentencing and annually each year thereafter for the duration of the probation term. If these fees are not paid, Tri-County Community Corrections may file revenue recapture.

Mail Probation Fee Payments to:
Tri-County Community Corrections
816 Marin Avenue, Suite 110
Crookston MN 56716

 What if I cannot make my schedule appointment?

You must call your agent or the probation office prior to your appointment to reschedule. Failure to attend scheduled appointments may result in a violation being filed with the court.

 How do I report a probation violation? IF THIS IS AN EMERGENCY PLEASE CALL 911

If you have information in regard to someone violating their probation please contact the probation office immediately. The probation agent will not be able to provide you with any specific information regarding a case but will take a report on information you provide. Information may or may not result in a formal probation violation being filed with the court.

 What are conditions of probation?

Specific conditions of probation are ordered by the court at the time of sentencing. Violations of probation conditions may result in formal or informal action being taken by probation or the court. Conditions of probation include standard statewide conditions along with discretionary conditions dictated by risk and needs assessments, offense characteristics, and recommendations of the prosecuting authority.

State Standard Conditions:

1. Follow all State and Federal criminal laws.

2. Contact your probation officer as directed.

3. Tell your probation officer within 72 hours if you have contact with law enforcement.

4. Tell your probation officer within 72 hours if you are charged with any new crime.

5. Tell your probation officer within 72 hours if you change your address, employment, or telephone number.

6. Cooperate with the search or your person, residence, vehicle, workplace, property, and things as directed by your probation officer.

7. Sign releases of information as directed.

8. Give a DNA sample when directed.

9. Do not use or possess any firearms, ammunition or explosives (length of time to be determined).

10. Do not register to vote or vote until July 1, 2023. On that date, you have the right to register to vote and to vote during any time you are not incarcerated for a felony offense. 

Special Conditions:

Potential special conditions of probation which the Court may impose are too numerous to list in entirety.  Common conditions of probation include:

-  Serving a period of jail time or Electronic Home Monitoring.

-  Obtaining a chemical dependency assessment and follow all treatment recommendations.

-  Have no contact with victims of current offense without authorization of the Agent.

-  Refrain from the use or possession of alcohol or any other mood altering substance.

Additional Conditions:

Starting July 1, 2023, under Minnesota Law and Statute 201.014 Subd. 2a, an individual who is ineligible to vote because of a felony conviction has the civil right to vote restored during any period when the individual is not incarcerated for the offense. If the individual is later incarcerated for the offense, the individual's civil right to vote is lost only during that period of incarceration.

You can find out more information about your voting rights and the necessary requirements on the website of the Office of Secretary of State at  and you can also register online. 

You can also call the Secretary of State at 1-877-600-VOTE (8683) or contact your county elections office at .   

Firearm Regulation - I understand that under the Federal Gun Control Act, any person who has been convicted as a felon cannot lawfully own or possess a firearm until the conviction is expunged, set aside, pardoned, and until permission is granted by the Department of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. (651) 726-0200. I understand that under the Federal Gun Control Act, it is unlawful for any person convicted of a State or Federal crime of Domestic Violence to ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms or ammunition throughout his/her lifetime.

 What is the diversion program?

If the child qualifies, diversion may be offered as an alternative to court. Parents and the child will appear in front of a panel of professionals and they will decide what consequences should be for this crime. If everything is completed in a timely manner, the file will be closed and there will be no court record. Diversion consequences are about the same as what court would recommend.